- SMEs are responsible for a mammoth 98 per cent of the country’s total economic activity.
- 93 per cent of non-agricultural companies employ four people or less.
- The service sector is contributes 51% of Egypt’s GDP, with tourism, trade, banking and shipping services the dominant industries.
- In 2007, Egypt was named top reformer in the World Bank’s 2007 Doing Business Report having slashed corporate income tax rates and import duties.
- The fiscal deficit has been reduced to 7.7 per cent of GDP from an average of 9 per cent in recent years.
- Between end-2004 and end-March 2007, 2.4 million jobs were created, thus decreasing unemployment from 10.5 per cent to 9 per cent.