- SMEs, which make up 97 per cent of all companies in the country, employ around 80 per cent of the total workforce, and are responsible for some 60 per cent of the country’s exports.
- Turkey has the 17th largest GDP in the world and second-largest economy in the Middle East.
- Foreign investments currently total more than $39 billion and $180 billion respectively.
- While agriculture provides a third of Turkey’s employment, it only contributes 9 per cent of GDP.
- The tourism sector is rebounding, with a 39% increase in visitor numbers from 2008 to 2009.
- Some 1.66 million Turks, or 7 per cent of the workforce, work in the tourism sector, a figure the government plans to expand to 5 million by 2023.