Our top stories from 2020
The coronavirus pandemic usurped every aspect of our lives. In its devastation, it dictated our movement, altered our habits and forced every business to digitise. Its impact will be longlasting and while many startups in the Middle East have suffered as a result, there are others that have benefitted, spurred on by the move online. The pandemic reinforced the need for digitisation, highlighted the importance of innovation and the crucial role that startups play within it.
Below is a small sample of our most read stories of 2020, highlighting the growing interest in foodtech and fintech.
- A glimpse into the Careem Mafia
- A deep dive into the GCC’s cloud kitchen sector part one and part two
- Online food delivery: The disruption heading to destruction
- We are now in the age of triage
- A look at Egypt’s online food delivery sector
- What is the most important lesson we can learn from this pandemic?
- The slow rise of neobanking in the Middle East
- How do you build a company to last?
- Open banking: DAPI's open letter to the UAE Bank Federation Advisory Council
- Awok’s failure: Pandemic victim or cash mismanagement?
Much like the rest of the world, we also took to Zoom and hosted several webinars, here are our top three: