Our top stories from 2021
This past year has been an incredibly dynamic one for the entrepreneurship ecosystem across the Middle East and North Africa. We have witnessed more exits than ever before, record-breaking investment deals and the continued boom of digitisation across industries. The startup ecosystems across the region differ in their levels of maturity, but one thing is becoming clear – innovation is a necessity and startups are a crucial part of enabling innovation.
Below is a small sample of our top stories of 2021:
- The VC map of Saudi Arabia
- India’s startup expansion to Mena: A cause for concern?
- The Abraham Accords and its impact on the 48er ecosystem
- Will Bitcoin valuations drop this year?
- Why Mumzworld is a unique story for the Arab region
- E-commerce’s next wave of growth is in B2B
- Anghami’s story is one to celebrate and emulate
- The startups tackling food waste in Mena
- Is the region ready for femtech?
- Can Saudi Arabia become the region’s fintech frontrunner?
- How we pivoted our startup with grace
- Ride hailing in Egypt: A global tug of war
- Can direct-to-consumer maintain its momentum in Mena?
- Has last-mile delivery reached its saturation point?
- Iraq’s big new opportunity
- A look at Kitopi’s three-year journey
We also published two reports this year:
How Covid-19 unlocked the adoption of e-commerce in the Mena region, published in partnership with the The Legatum Center for Development and Entrepreneurship at MIT.
The impact of Covid-19 on the state of mental health and wellbeing of entrepreneurs in Mena, published in partnership with Microsoft for Startups.